Monday, August 31, 2009

Good ole' fashioned Fruit Cake

This fruit cake was baked in July, and left to keep for 3 weeks. I know I promised to update on the outcome of it all and this posting is long overdue. Still it's better late than never, and at least I can sit back on this one.

Well I can say it has survived and passed the cake tasting (with the folks around, and friends)with good results!



This is how it looked when it came out from the oven.








After more than 3 weeks of being soaked in brandy this is how it looked.

Texture: A little crumbly still, but the body stood well, the fruits well spread out, I think the high protein flour withstood the weight of the fruits well. Moist but not heavy. Easy to the bite, although I wished it was more solid.

Taste: An initial taste and smell of brandy, a fruity flavour, and the texture of the cake makes it memorable and satisfying at least for me. Having decreased the sugar, it felt good as the fruits with alcohol imparted a natural sweet taste.

Feedback: Some pretty encouraging remarks on the flavour and smell. Great stuff - thanks Edmonds!

Note: I used Brandy XO on the cake. Also the taste seemed to grow better the longer it kept. I had some stored in the fridge and it kept for another 3 weeks, moist soft and tasting even better from the storing. Just needed to keep it wrapped and covered.

Hmmm should be good for Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment