Monday, September 7, 2009

Hot Cross Buns

Hot cross buns! One a penny, two a penny hot cross buns!



The rhyme rang in my head as I played with the dough. And though it wasn't Good Friday I had just wanted to find out what this famous bread tasted like. For curiosity's sake...





I got my answer - it is a tangy fruit bun, smells of cinnamon and spice and all things nice.. and is at its best hot and fresh from the oven. Though I might have done an injustice to the dough and texture as I was short on yeast. Oops!


And then I also found out that the cross did not sync with the bun - it was hard and detached!




Note to myself: Although the recipe says water and flour for the cross, I could include some butter and sugar for taste..



Leftovers were reheated and eaten with butter and marmalade jam - still fabulously delightful for breakfast.
On reflection, I should do this at Easter - for sure there will be a "rise" then :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment