Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Serenity Prayer in a Changing World

Some 13 years ago, I sent my eldest off from home to study in a foreign country. Reluctant though my husband and I were, we had to, as tertiary education opportunities were limited then, and we would be curtailing his potential in keeping him here. I had expected him to complete his studies, return home to Malaysia to work, and to resume his life.



As it happens, he decides to stay on in the country he has grown to love, and over the years he has brought a brother and sister with him to further their studies. Younger brother completes his education, gets into Big 5 and settles down there too. Fast forward, youngest sister is pursuing tertiary studies, and he's even moved his parents there too. But that is a separate story.



He has been home lots since then. Last week he came back home on a special mission. He is on the trade delegation accompanying his Prime Minister in the signing of the FTA with Malaysia.



I have not seen him as much as I wish to, on this trip back home he's been busy on the many functions in his role as a delegate of the NZ Government. He's been on the motorcade as the entourage travels through the infamous traffic jams of his hometown, with a couple dozen policemen clearing a way for them. He's been visiting Malaysian affiliates of NZ corporations with his PM. He's been in the company of high ranking Malaysian and NZ Government officials and corporate men.

Am I affected by all this hoopla? No, because I have not even been able to catch much of him, despite there being flashes of him on the late night news. And no, because this is part of his work.



Am I proud of him? Yes I confess so, him doing what he is doing for the country he is living in now, and him making small inroads in his career, business and social work. Return home to Malaysia? Well he's showing me that he can work and live there, and can return home in style :) It is surreal but it has also brought home to me that the world we live in is really not that big after all.

My expectation has evolved – I have long since learnt to give it up for the greater good and entrust my sons' future in their own hands.

These days I travel to NZ more and it seems like the country I sent my children to with so much trepidation back then has also become like a second home to me. Meanwhile I continue to be mindful that life is ever evolving...

"God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know
the difference."

This prayer encourages me and I wish that it will you too.






No comments:

Post a Comment