Tuesday, September 22, 2009

In memory of ...

Lately I have been prompted on how evanescent life can be. It didn’t help that people – no matter if I did or did not know them personally - were called home from their sojourn on earth, expectedly or otherwise. July ‘09, Michael Jackson was stopped in his tracks as he prepared to embark on a long awaited revival. A month later much loved Malaysian story-teller Yasmin Ahmad made an unexpected exit in the midst of another exciting project. Then my brother-in-law Steven succumbed to health problems leaving family members grieving in his wake.

It was in this mood that I learnt of yet another departure barely 2 weeks on. Two Sundays ago, on a hazy September morning, I was there to send good old Uncle Dato’ Maniam off on his last journey. It was poignant for me in that he was a reminder of the time I had worked in HSS, where “Uncle” had been a Consultant in since its early days. That he had fought a good fight, was now relieved of any pain from his ailing health and would be in a better place is my small piece of hope of comfort for the family of relatives and workmates that he has left behind.

“Uncle Maniam” was “the” grand old man of HSS. In the years that I had worked there, through staff gatherings, his presence around the office, through many management meetings, I saw a knowledgeable man, a valiant soldier, a compassionate soul; fearless in his prodding, wealthy in his wisdom and support.
In brief, Uncle had had a successful civil service and had retired some 30 years ago. I had the honour to co-interview him for an article for the Company’s in-house magazine, and had the privilege of an insight into the background of his career, his work ethics and the various contributions he had made in the public sector.

Call it selective memory or sentimentalism. But the Uncle I shall remember is one who has left a fatherly image that I can cherish. As with Michael Jackson, Yasmin Ahmad, brother-in-law Steven, may Uncle’s soul rest in peace among the angels.
Free Hit Counters

2 comments:

  1. My Dear Ex.... (Secretary, that is...., just in case the "endearment" get misintepreted),

    A very well written eulogy for the passing of a highly respected and dignified man. Over and above what was written in your blog, Uncle epitomise a professional of the highest virtue and a person who would not stand down on any issues, even to the extend of being left "standing alone and be counted" to uphold truths and moral righteousness. This is all too rare these days, with the real world pressures in the business world, especially so in Malaysia. I will miss Dato Uncle a lot.... my immediate next door neighbour in the office of HSS.

    Chan Kin Pooi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. I've been too occupied to write but your feedback encourages me. Ya Uncle has been "something" to each and everyone of us.

    ReplyDelete